If you are thinking of selling your home, before you become overwhelmed at the task we need to discuss 10 steps that will help bring you the objective of making this process easier on you.
1. Determine Why And When You Would Like To Sell. Motivation plays a critical factor in determining what course of action you need to take. Spring is typically a faster paced season to sell and winter tends to be a little slower. Regardless, there are always people looking to buy and seasons are only one factor to consider. Give me a call. I will be able to help get you in the right direction.
2. Give Me A Call. Todays market is competative and technology is always changing. An expert that understands how sophisticated real estate market is crucial, this is were my expertise will show its light to acheive you top dollar. In most cases other agents that you speak with have not graduated college with a specialized degree in real estate marketing on top of writing the real estate examination at UBC.
3. Sign A Listing Agreement With Me.It authorizes me and my brokerage to market and sell your home. The agreement serves 3 purposes. a) It defines our relationship and every detail and limits of your Realtors authority. b) It provides detailed information on the home which can be posted the boards Multiple Listing Service. c) It forms a basis for drafting offers on your home, formal offers start with the Listing Agreement.
4. Set Your Price. You want to attract buyers, the right asking price will attract not deter. I know the factors affecting the market. For example: Your neighborhood may be under development with larger families and houses, there may be a large company opening up bringing jobs and a demand for housing in general, interest rates may be affecting peoples willingness to take out mortgages. I will do a comparative Market Analysis (CMA) to the homes recently sold, active and expired in your area and we will set the price.
5. Find A Lawyer. You need to find a lawyer to do your conveyance; its where they transfer the title of the property to your name. Ask them how they structure their fees and get an estimate of all other costs you can expect. Please see my ‘Completion Costs Guide page.
6. Prepare Your Home For Viewing. Get your mop, vacuum, tool belt & paint brush and lets get your home a mini make-over. Its the little things you can do to attract an offer. Get rid of the clutter, clean everything, repair as much as you can within reason, add some beautifying touches like new door handles on cupboards and perhaps even paint.
7. Let Me Market Your Home. This is my expertise and this is where I can be at most benefit to you and your success. Please see Services Section on the home or about page for more of a description description. Here you will find step by step how I will help you achieve your goal. I will use combinations of marketing from traditional media to MLS, my own website and networking. Open House for Realtors and the public is also very beneficial.
8. Prepare Your Finances. Is your mortgage portable without any penalties? Can the buyer assume your mortgage? Can you discharge your mortgage without any penalties? Does capitol gains tax apply to you? Talk with your mortgage broker and perhaps your accountant to see what applies
9. Offers! Lets Look At Offers. I will walk you through the process, you will see every offer. There may be some conditions you may want to change; we will discuss each and every detail. This is one of the most important parts of te sales process and why you have hired me.
When selling your home and negotiating pricing it can be an emotional processand this is where the art of professional negotiating comes into play. The program that I completed at the British Columbia Institute of Technology has trained me in advanced sales and negotiating skils. I use these skills effectively when negotiating a price on your behalf with a buyer's agent; this will save you tens of thousands of dollars.
10. Close The Deal! Excellent, negotiations are successful and we have time for the most vital steps now. A) Contact your lawyer and let them know an Agreement has been signed. B) Immediately begin satisfying any conditions that require your actions to complete C) Notify the lawyer and lending institution if the buyer is assuming your mortgage D) Contact utilities, telephone and cable companies about transfer or removal of service E) Call insurance agent and arrange cancellation or transfer of your homeowners insurance F) Call a moving company G) Send out change of address cards including Ministry of Transportation for your BCDL etc. H) Notify me immediately if there are any changes to your property or situation.
Congratulations!!! You have sold your house! I'm pleased to have helped you :-)
When you are attempting to sell one of the largest assets you own there are a few things that you will have to avoid doing. Request a copy of the 10 most common mistakes made by sellers! (Go to the home screen and you will find a request page on the right under buyer and seller tools)